Jimmy Rogez — RevoU Instructor | Sales Development Manager, APAC at Tenable
As Sales Development Manager at Tenable, Jimmy is responsible for leading a team of Sales Development Professionals across Australia, Singapore, and India covering the JAPAC region. His sales career started in 2011, working as international sales development at LinkedIn
As Sales Development Manager, Jimmy is responsible for leading a team of Sales Development Professionals across Australia, Singapore, and India covering the JAPAC region. Their task is to drive sales growth for Tenable, a leading Cybersecurity company trusted by 30,000 organizations around the world to help them understand and reduce cybersecurity risks.
His sales career started in 2011, working as international sales development in the renowned social media platform for professionals: LinkedIn. He helped enterprise and SMB companies in Canada to leverage the LinkedIn Corporate Solutions platform to recruit more effectively and efficiently.
With over 10 years of experience in the sales tech industry in Asia and America, Jimmy has a lot of experience and knowledge to share.
He will be one of the instructors in the RevoU Business Development/Sales in Tech program– ready to guide, train and motivate you to excel in this challenging yet rewarding role.
Questions and Answers
#1 Can you explain to us what your typical day looks like in your current role at Tenable?
As a member of the APAC Leadership team, I am in meetings for most of the day.
This will vary from Leadership Team meetings to meeting with my team as a group, individual 1:1s, meetings with members of the Tenable Marketing team, my SDR Manager Counterparts in the US and EMEA, Account Based Marketing (ABM) Team, Marketing Operations, Sales Operations, Sales Forecasting calls, etc.
When I’m not in meetings, I’m reviewing reports in SFDC and Tableau, sharing updates, running training workshops, speaking with potential vendors, and of special importance, keeping my team MOTIVATED!
#2 Biggest myths and misconceptions about Sales/ Business Development in Tech industry?
- Cold Calls are Dead - with the right research and preparation, you can deliver a compelling message to a decision-maker/decision influencer that will not only take your call, but be keen to take a meeting to hear more about what you have to offer.
- The Customer is Always Right - while this may be true (most of the time) in the food/service industry, this is not the case in B2B Tech Sales world. Often times, customers genuinely don’t know the extent of their own problems internally, and which product/service is the best solution for their company.
- Just a couple follow up attempts is enough, then it’s time to move on - Persistence pays off. People are busy, in meetings, or have personal matters going on just like you and me. Don’t be so quick to give up on someone just because they haven’t called you back after a couple calls or emails.
#3 Your proudest professional achievement at Tenable?
I joined Tenable in Jan 2019. In my second year (2020), my team exceeded the amount of Sales Pipeline they created in 2019 by 175%
#4 What are things you wish you could have learned earlier in your career?
- People don’t leave their company, they leave their Manager
- Some of the major tech companies are actually very interested in hiring young “inexperienced” people to join their salesforce. They want people they can train and mold, so don’t be afraid to apply for a role where you feel you aren’t the ideal candidate profile. Showing you’re willing to learn and be coached is also appealing.
#5 Books / Online resources you follow to remain on top of the most important industry trends and keep improving in your field (blogs, podcasts, newsletters)?
I spend a lot of time reading industry news in Linkedin and other major media outlets, both local and overseas.
One book that any SDR Manager (or Sales Leader for that matter) should read is Predictable Revenue by Aaron Ross. He invented the SDR function, and in doing so, a whole new organizational structure and approach to Sales.
#6 Your tips for someone who is interested in starting his career in Sales/ Business Development in the Tech industry and doesn’t know where to focus on (aside from applying to RevoU :)?
Find a company that is aligned with something(s) you are passionate about.
For example, if you want to help protect people in this digital age, join a Cybersecurity company. If you want to help people be more effective or productive, join a company that sells Productivity software.
These days, there is a piece of software or an app for just about anything.
You may not realize it at first, but being a part of a Team and Corporate Culture that resonates with you and makes you feel good beyond just the results you’re achieving really goes a long way.
#7 What distinguishes the goods from the greats in your Sales/ Business Development in Tech industry?
- A competitive (but also humble) nature.
- A thirst for knowledge
- Willing to be coached and get out of their comfort zone
Learn from Jimmy and other great instructors by applying to RevoU Business Development/Sales in Tech program
Looking to kickstart your career in BD/Sales in Tech but don’t know where to start? Apply to RevoU 3-months Business Development Program
How RevoU works:
✓ Live daily interactive online classes for 3 months (7–9pm WIB)
✓ Learn from the best instructors in the industry (such as Jimmy)
✓ Personalised career coaching with 1:1 mentorship sessions
✓ If you are looking for a job and don’t get one at the end of the Program, the entire course is FREE
RevoU - The Journal Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.